Hello and happy Friday! To be perfectly honest, I haven’t been feeling that great this week, and I didn’t have a chance to put together a more comprehensive, instructional post for today. I still wanted to share something, though, so I figured I’d create a list of Friday Favorites and talk about some things that I’ve been loving and that have been helping me out over the last couple of months.
I love podcasts all the time, but they’ve been super helpful to me while I’m staying home and looking for ways to keep my mind working (and, let’s be honest, to distract myself sometimes so I don’t have to deal with my feelings). Here are some of the podcasts that I’ve been enjoying the most:
- Staying In with Emily and Kumail: Hosted by actor and writer Kumail Nanjiani and his wife and fellow writer, Emily V. Gordon, this podcast is full of entertaining and sometimes emotional insights from a couple who, like most of the country, is staying home to stay safe and help to slow the spread of COVID-19.
- Mind Pump: This is my number one health and fitness podcast. Sal, Adam, and Justin do a great job of blending down-to-earth, no bullshit health and fitness advice with humor. The show is always entertaining and I always learn something new when I listen.
- This is Joy and Claire: Formerly known as Girls Gone WOD, Joy and Claire’s new podcast is another entertaining one that never fails to puts a smile on my face. Whether they’re talking about health and dismantling diet culture or sharing updates on their kids or pets, these two women are always fun to listen to.
- Happier with Gretchen Rubin: Gretchen Rubin’s work has always been interesting to me and I love her and her sister and co-host, Elizabeth’s insights on all things related to being happier, healthier, more creative, and more productive.
- Office Ladies: If you’re a fan of The Office, you have to give Office Ladies a listen. The show’s two hosts, Jenna Fisher and Angela Kinsey, break down every episode of The Office and share fun and fascinating behind-the-scenes details, sometimes with a little help from their former co-stars.
I’m fortunate enough to have some at-home workout equipment, so I haven’t had to do strictly bodyweight workouts for the last couple of months. However, I’ve been gravitating toward bodyweight-only workouts for the last couple of weeks in an effort to dial back my intensity.
I’ve pushed myself a little harder than is ideal and I’ve been feeling a little burned out as a result, so, a couple of weeks ago, I started following this bodyweight program from Francheska Martinez. It’s been a fun deviation from my typical workouts and allows me to get my heart rate up in a bit more of a low-impact way.
My husband and I love reality TV, and we’ve been getting a lot of joy out of 90 Day Fiance and the various 90 Day Fiance spin-offs. They’re not stimulating at all and are complete trash, but they’re also hilarious and can occasionally be heartwarming. I highly recommend giving the shows a watch if you haven’t already, especially if you’re looking to check out and not use your brain for a while.
Long Walks Outside
Now that it’s warming up here in Utah, I’ve been making an effort to get outside more than usual. We always take a couple of walks around the neighborhood each day so we can give our dog some exercise and get some vitamin D, but we’ve been venturing out a little more lately.
We’re lucky enough here to have easy access to tons of parks and hiking trails, many of which, luckily, aren’t very crowded, so we can go explore them without having to worry about being around too many people. We haven’t done any super strenuous hikes or anything since our dog is a 12-year-old, five-pound Pomeranian and can’t handle them, but we’ve been spending a lot more time outdoors, and it’s been great for our moods and our overall health.
Share Some of Your Friday Favorites
What have you been loving lately? Do you have any Friday favorites (or any day favorites if you’re not reading this on a Friday) that you want to share? If so, drop them down below!