When it comes to meal prep, I’m not a huge fan of preparing whole meals for myself and putting them in individual containers — if this works for you, great, I just personally don’t like it. I prefer just having a few different things cooked, like these Instant Pot shredded chicken thighs, so I can mix and match and create the meal that sounds best to me on a particular day.
Shredded chicken is a great protein source to have prepped for the week. It’s versatile, it tastes delicious (especially when you use thighs because they have WAY more flavor), and it lasts for quite a while in the fridge. Basically, it checks all the meal prep boxes, at least for me.
If you don’t have an Instant Pot, you could most likely recreate this recipe using a slow cooker. I would just use the same ingredients and cook the chicken on low for 6-8 hours.
Alright, enough jabbering. Let’s get into the recipe!
- 1 pound chicken thighs
- Garlic powder
- Onion powder
- Poultry seasoning (I use this one)
- Place the chicken thighs in the Instant Pot and cover with seasonings — I just eyeball them, but I probably use about 1/2 teaspoon of each
- Add water until the chicken thighs are totally covered
- Plug in the Instant Pot, put the lid on (make sure the pressure valve is closed) and set to manual high pressure for 10 minutes
- When the chicken is finished cooking, let the pressure release naturally for about 20 minutes
- Remove the lid and shred the chicken with two forks
- Transfer the chicken to a Tupperware container and store in the fridge
See, I told you it was easy. Now, you have an easy, delicious protein prepped for the week! This chicken would be delicious paired with some broccoli and rice or potatoes, or you could at it to a soup or chili — the possibilities are pretty much endless!
If you give this recipe a try, please let me know! I’d love to hear what you think!