I’ve turned a bunch of vegetables into fries, now it’s time to turn fruit (yes, coconut is a fruit!) into chips. I’m coming at you with a new recipe for spicy barbecue coconut chips!
These chips are spicy, savory, and a tiny bit sweet. They make a great side dish or salad topper. I bet they’d be good on top of soup or chili, too!
They’re perfect for anyone who’s following a low-carb or ketogenic diet. They’re paleo-friendly, too, and totally vegan. These work for just about any diet you can dream up — unless it’s a no coconut diet, I guess.
I love that these chips only take 5-7 minutes to prepare, too. You can have a delicious snack ready to go in no time at all, and they’re easy to whip up when you have a craving for chips but don’t want to blow a bunch of calories on nutrient-poor, processed food.
These chips are a great source of fiber as well, so you’ll feel much more satiated after eating just a small serving of these (definitely not the case when you plow through a bag full of regular barbecue chips).
Okay, enough promoting. Let’s get into the recipe!
- 40 grams coconut chips (I used these — make sure you buy chips, not flakes!)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon coconut sugar or brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- Preheat the oven to 325 degrees Fahrenheit and line a baking sheet with parchment paper
- Combine the sugar and spices in a small bowl
- In a separate, larger bowl, toss the coconut chips in the olive oil
- Add the sugar and spices to the bowl and toss until all the chips are evenly coated
- Bake for 5-7 minutes until the coconut chips are golden brown (watch them closely as they can burn pretty easily)
- Remove from the oven and let the coconut chips cool completely
If you make these, I’d love to know what you think! Let me know in the comments down below!